Frequently Asked Questions
Find all your answers here, and if you don’t see the question you are looking for please feel free to give us a call or use our contact form, we will get back to you within 24 hours.
What does a new home cost?
This is our most commonly asked question so that’s why we put it at the top! The cost of a custom designed home can vary depending on a lot of different factors. Please get in touch and we will be more than happy to give you some initial pricing feedback once we know a bit more about your project.
Why should I choose a family owned and operated company?
Experience the difference by choosing to work with a family owned company. We take the time to really get to know our clients and build long lasting relationships with them. You will never have to deal with office hierarchy as you will liaise directly with the builder on all aspects of your build ensuring that you always receive our personal attention.
In which areas do you operate?
Our office is situated on the Sunshine Coast with area of operations spreading throughout South East Queensland.
Doesn't it cost more to build a custom designed home rather than straight off the plan?
The short answer is no! We all lead different lives so why would we all want the same home? Who wouldn’t want a uniquely custom designed home to suit their needs and desires? It doesn’t have to cost more to get exactly what you want.
The building process seems overwhelming where do I start?
The building process might seem overwhelming but it does not have to be. It can be outlined in a few simple steps:
- Call us! Whether you have your block or not, we are happy to assist in any way we can, we can arrange a meeting on site prior or after purchasing the block to go through designs and thoughts on what you want out of your new home. Speaking of designs;
- We will arrange a meeting with one of our draftsmen which we will attend, or if you already have your plans, great, we can sit down and make changes to suit your block and/or requirements.
- Once we are settled on the design we enter the quoting stage where we produce a fixed price for your build. Once you are happy with the price we will draw up a QBCC New Home Construction Contract.
- Pre-Construction – this is where we get everything finalised, from your selections to engineering and council approval. This all needs to happen before we can start on site
- Construction – we hit the ground running. During the build process we will keep in regular contact with you and prompt any requirements or questions we may have regarding the finer details in the finishes. Towards the end of the build, we will arrange a time to meet with you onsite to conduct handover of the property.
- Move in and enjoy.
I have my own plans can you use these?
Provided your draftsman has given permission for you to use the plans then yes we can use them. If you do not have plans but you have your own sketch, we can have this converted into a detail drawing ready for construction use.
I don’t have any plans can you help me with the design?
We specialise in helping clients design a home that suits their lifestyle and stays within their budget. We can arrange to have a meeting with you to discuss your design prior to meeting with a draftsman.
We need financial advice and don’t know who to speak to?
We would be more than happy to provide you with a referral to a local mortgage broker. He can even visit you at home!
How do I choose the colours, fixtures and fittings etc. for my project?
You are never alone when you engage RLH as your builder, we are here to help and guide you through the entire build process. When it comes time to choose your colours, fixtures, fittings etc. we have an experienced interior design team who will help you with every selection. We will book you a half day appointment where you will have exclusive use of the design center and you can choose from thousands of samples.
Can I make changes during construction?
Where possible changes can be made during construction. We would ask you to sign a contract variation and you would be given a fixed price for the cost of the changes prior to work commencing.
Can I inspect my property during the construction process?
Of course, this is your Home after all! Just give us a call to arrange a time to meet onsite.
How do you ensure quality of work?
We have long term relationships with our contractors which has ensured us quality work at all times. We make sure that our suppliers are happy therefore they strive to produce superior work on your home.
How eco-friendly are your homes?
We strive to build you the most efficient house as possible through working with your block and it's aspect as well as assisting you in choosing your appliances, fixtures, fittings and materials.
At what point do we pay you?
The stages of payment are clearing outlined in the building contract prior to you signing it. The stages of payment are:
- Preliminary works (if working with RLH to design and construct. Prices vary depending on house seize and requirements)
- Deposit (paid at contract signing 5 %)
- Base (paid once the foundations and slab are complete)
- Frame (paid once the frame is complete)
- Enclosed (paid once the building is water tight)
- Fixing (paid once joinery is installed, plaster board is up and wet areas have been tiled )
- Practical completion (paid once the house is completed, prior to the client taking possession )
Each amount is a percentage of the total contract price.
Can you build on steep and difficult blocks?
Yes, of course. In fact whilst many other builders shy away from difficult land we pride ourselves in being sloping block experts.
How long will you take to build my home?
Once building approval has been received we can build your home in as little as 12 weeks. However, the exact length of time will depend on many things including the size of your home and complexity of the build.
Should you have any further questions do not hesitate to Contact Us.